View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2959167)   #1263
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
If you need to 'fiddle' with your scanner then do it when racing or other track action has ceased. As a PC I would insist you did that if I had seen you regularly fiddling with your scanner and not paying attention to the track action, that is part of my responsibility to look after my team and helping to keep them safe.
Its not just the 'fiddling with scanner' that I found a problem, it's the fellow flag marshal with the scanner who suffers from the well recorded male inabilty to multi-task, resulting in the frequent bouts of 'lights on but no-one at home' syndrome while they listen to some irrelavent message on the scanner and then proceed to tell you that 'car nn pulled of at post xx'. If they switched the scanner off and just concentrated on the flagging they might have noticed the car went missing some 4 laps previously!

I must admit that in 25 years of flagging I cannot recall ever meeting a flag marshal whose abilities I felt where enhanced by them having a scanner, and only a few that seemed to be able to cope with a scanner and flagging at the same time.