View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2966187)   #72
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcostraz View Post
Why and/or where the NASCAR product is better? What's decision of NASCAR was better than IndyCar's? Lenght of races? Promotion? TV? Concerts? Personally I don't want an Indy 500 every race...I want the Indy 500 and I want XXX other races...I think that IndyCar has to promote its product better, but should not make a copy of NASCAR...

Unpredictable? At least half of the races of NASCAR are decided by fuel strategy...I heard thousands of complaints from IndyCar fans about fuel strategy...now, where is the mistake? In NASCAR fuel strategies are good and make races unpredictable and in IndyCar are bad? Let's resolve these two different considerations...

Americana? And why and how? We have some good american drivers (and next we'll see another good oyung driver), next year we'll have a big american engine manufacturer, 95% of races are in USA (+ 2 in Canada)...why should the series be more american? I want to see the best drivers, not the best american drivers...
I think you missed what my post was saying. I was not saying Indy needs to become NASCAR; I was highlighting how NASCAR made their product appeal to the American public more than IndyCar did or can. We all have our personal tastes and I'm certainly not on the "all-oval, all-American" bandwagon or I'd be at a different forum than this one (and likewise, I'm not on the Panoz DP01 reunion tour committee, either). At the end of the day, NASCAR has a lot more appeal in the U.S. than IndyCar, and I think a lot of people like to 1) view NASCAR fans as ignorant for not watching IndyCar which is totally false and 2) view NASCAR as getting "lucky" as if Tony George forced everyone to go watch NASCAR. I think those two views fall short of the whole truth, and I was trying to show that.

Regardless, we're here today with our series. We have a niche sport that's failing to appeal to a broader fan-base, and alienating the niche it already divided in half. The steps forward we take now are still marred by two steps backward, and that has nothing to do with 1996 anymore. It has to do with 2011...

...and somehow, this all finds its way in a thread about the 2012 silly season.