View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2999180)   #38
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascona i2000 View Post
You quite right Ken i chose not to vote as i am happy to race with the club wether it be on 1b tyre choice, or 1a nankang ditchfinder's. You just dont seem to accept that people were going off the dunlops? I believe the club used to run yoko's(might be wrong) was there this much grief when the dunlops were introduced? Its hardly mod saloons from running a different 1b tyre, as lets not forget the d84's are 1b.
David, as I said previously, this is not Just about tyres but the erosion of the regulations. You are the one that is making it a tyre issue. I am equally upset about the perspex/lexan decision. Also as I said previously, if these regulation changes were about cost saving and /or safety, there were other more economical/cheaper options. No, these rule changes were about one thing & one thing only, a few selfish front runners wanted to go faster. Now if the rest of the field want to keep up they must spend £400 plus on a set of tyres, without spares & £150+ on a sheet of Lexan plus many hours making & installing these windows in order to compete on a level playing field. In these hard times when you say your concerns are about falling grids how can you justify this increased expense. Club members may need to replace 1 or 2 of their Dunlops but not a full set & the cheapest tyres you can run are the ones you already have. How much are Toyo/Yokohama etc giving the club?

No the club never had Yokohama as a control tyre. Up until 1991 tyres were free, lists 1a or 1b. In 1991 the club took the decision to use the Dunlop D83 & D84J as a control tyre in order to stop spiralling costs due to a tyre war. Some affluent competitors would test many types of tyre thus giving them an advantage. that 1991 decision worked well for 20 years, you obviously think the time is right for another 'tyre war'.

I presume the decision to run perspex/lexan makes it compulsory to be run as I can see no other justification for it apart from going faster.