Old 8 Mar 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3037143)   #66
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
One question my friend keeps asking is what is the big problem with small grids? A lot of yous here seem to really dislike them, and I try to argue that it is not a good thing for the sport. He feels it doesn't really impact the quality of racing negatively, as the cameras rarely focus on backmarkers anyways. I say that big grids mean the sport is "healthy" (typically) but beyond that...? I think it is nice that Moto2 (and now Moto3?) grids have become massive, and I think it is kinda pathetic that there were only 17 bikes in GP last year, but beyond the above... What are the negatives if any?
have him watch a 2-car sportscar race between Audi #1 and Audi #2 from some point in the last decade when they had no competition

on another note, to have better competition at the top you have to have good competition at the bottom: the top guys have to beat the guys right underneath them to win, those guys have to beat the midfielders, the midfielders have to beat the backmarkers, no backmarker wants to finish last: it's a positive feedback loop as everyone is pushing everyone above them; when the back of a field deteriorates it's usually not long til the deterioration travels further up the field