View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3048871)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
to be honest, garc, if my old man turned up with an impreza i'd probably laugh at him

without wanting to sound, er... rude... does it not depend how old you are? my aforementioned old boy is approaching 60 (don't tell him, he's still in denial) and he freely admits his reactions are slowing down and he can't drive as fast as he used to. as such if he was going to get a raging lunatic car he'd want one that did what he was expecting, when he was expecting it and with HUGE brakes to make up for his reactions.

obviously it depends what you're used to but with that in mind... would a subaru loonywagon actually be one of the more sensible choices??

ps. as for insurance groups, if the golf r is anything like the audi s3 it's in the same insurance group as pastor maldonado. thank god for trade insurance...
My, my, I can't believe the number of older guys that spend all this time caring about what other people think. Surely by 50-60 years old you've earned the privilege to do whatever the hell you want, especially if you have already raised your children.

Here in the USA, the hot hatch thing is a narrow market, but I do see plenty of older gray hairs in Subaru WRX and STI's and other similar cars. With the WRX, it handles well, brakes well and accelerates well, so for a car to drive around in, it's not that bad.

Certainly a lot of those cars are designed and marketed to appeal to a younger crowd, but there is no reason why someone older can't buy something quicker and better running than an econobox.

It's interesting to me all these societal pressures that when you are X age you need to shut up, get with the program and do XYZ or else you will be eaten.

And diesel, . I don't know how a manufacturer could put a diesel in a car and think it's a hot hatch.