View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3091327)   #84
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
EcoBoost hasn't gone down well at all... just about everyone I know has voiced descent about it. I don't know whether it's too early to tell or not, but it's starting to look like it was a mistake.

The problem with the Kent engine is that it's becoming scarcer which in time will cause it to become more expensive to build/maintain. What they ought to have done was look to get an engine that was as ubiquitous and cheap as the Kent engine was back in the day... and ensure that it could retro fit into a Kent engined chassis. By introducing a complete change to the entire formula, they've grossly misread the needs and desires of the majority of current and future Formula Ford racers.
I pretty much agree with that.

In my personal view the Kent engine was great in the 70s and 80s but now they make no sense at all, save for an introduction to single seaters in club racing, which I accept is affordable and of course the various classic series which look like great fun.

However, they are ridiculously expensive to rebuild in my experience, which is required far too frequently and you still get enormous disparities in power output. I've heard of "really good" Kents changing hands for £7,500......

Club Duratec is the way to go perhaps? Equal power throughout the field, remap it for say 125 bhp, requiring rebuilds every 3 years maybe....

But ecoboost is a nonsense. Doesn't fulfill the Formula Ford ethos at all.