View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3159922)   #127
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
H'mmm. To the complainers, I suggest there is a huge difference between hearing the noise and the noise being intrusive.

Apart from enduros, let us assume a load of 8 lap scratch races.

The race is usually all over in 11 or 12 minutes and generally, organisers run to a time table of 3 races per hour. On that basis, there is only race noise for 36 minutes an hour, BUT, in an eight lap race and particularly, those formulae where lap times are close (Suzuki Swifts as an example), even though the field may be reasonable, for half the lap - or even three quarters, the cars are literally out of sight and earshot across the far side of the track.

As many meetings are inclusive of road cars with road exhausts, one can only assume that the noise is only an issue with some classes and some race formats. With an in car camera in my car for a televised meeting, you could hardly hear the car through the single glazing even with the car window open, and I know the external tailpipe exhaust sound noise is not at all noisy. Quite boring to watch really!

So to the moaners, I'd happily suggest that they use sheep instead of lawnmowers, hand-saws instead of chainsaws and shoot all the birds, as we know from Hampton Downs, that the dawn chorus is louder than the race cars, otherwise, these are just hypocritical kill joys, no more, no less .

If you want real noise, try living on the flight path into Heathrow airport...