View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3160764)   #144
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my experience of either operating the sound meter or having to enforce the ruling of the Judge of fact operating the sound meter at Timaru I can asure you that there is sfa difference in the reading between an individual car recording say 93.7 and a group made up of cars of a similar reading coming past the meter.

What did make a difference was astmospheric conditions, Dry ground and a clear sunny sky and most Tranzam's would read around 92 decibels, overcast sky and it would be up around 93 to 94. If there had been overnight rain plus and overcast sky then 95 to 96 could easily be reached.

For enforcement purposes I worked on full numbers only therefore you had not exceeded 95 until the meter read 96.

Like most other circuits the District Council had three monitoring sports where they were checking on the noise level emmitted from the property and by adjusting our pa system and a bit of relocation of the speakers we were able to meet their requirements. We need to remember that the noise is from all sources and not just the cars.

As an aside, we were advised when reading one council report that their staff member had been unable to take recordings from one of the approved sites becasue of the noise made from birds who were feeding close by. For a time it was not difficult to arrange for some grain to be scattered close to the measuring points for our January meeting