View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3272462)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartincolin View Post
I chose Rotax, and after several months seem to be making significant improvements in both setting up the kart and my driving, leaving me only a couple of tenths of the country`s outright pace !

I know that the 2012 Irish Rotax Max Champion is doing Super 1 this year with Paul Carr Racing, and they would be requesting £70k plus per season. It`s astronomical money, its edging closer towards a full year in single seaters! Surely pricing the majority out of the sport!
You're doing very well if you're that quick so early on.

Top level karting, whether in Britain or Europe isn't cheap. It never was. Also, £70K won't get you very far in an equivalent UK national single seater championship either I'm afraid.

Unless you're very well heeled and can easily afford to plough tens of thousands into your hobby, I would think very carefully about going beyond the national scene in Ireland. I know too many extremely talented drivers [and their families] who've lost their shirt 'chasing a dream'... and that's advice that didn't cost you a penny