View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3355683)   #2616
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems Panoz is designing a couple low-budget passenger cars to produce in partnership with a major manufacturer (which some manufacturers would like, because it lowers corporate average fuel economy) which will give hem access to the internals to eventually build a GT version, which likely would be aimed also at GT racing. That's how I read it.

EDIT: Early in the article it says “Panoz says his radical design could transform more than just America's most prestigious endurance race — it could transform the production car. He met with major automakers here about a partnership for a fuel-efficient sedan or sports car.”

Whether he is planning a four-seat DWing or whatever … imagine the patent wars with Nissan then—he is apparently looking to build a low-drag road car with the assistance of some manufacturer (other than Nisssan.)

I’d guess that like Nissan’s road-going trike-car concept, the Panoz version would be odd-looking and awkward for driver-passenger socializing (great to make a date sit in the back seat, eh?) and claim to be more efficient with its skinny front wheels—and if licensed to a Detroit manufacturer, would use styling cues from other cars by that manufacturer. Panoz would get his cut for the basic idea, and the car would sell as much on novelty as practicality.

That’s what it sounds like to me.

Then, I guess, he would build a DWing GT … who knows? Let’s see what the courts say.

Last edited by Maelochs; 18 Jan 2014 at 19:44.