View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2000, 14:26 (Ref:35131)   #19
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhhhh, EERO - Driving in Taxachusetts is so much fun ! 128 in rush hour is great practice for Lime Rock !

I lived there for many years, and compared to here in Indy, Massachusetts drivers are quite skillfull! The highways here have 1/4 the number of cars, but the accident rate is twice as high. Most of the drivers here should be limited to riding lawnmowers.

For a while I commuted from Hull to Watertown daily via 128- the cops used to sit on certain spots of the breakdown lane, usually just past the top of a hill, to surprise those who tried to use it as a shortcut. Every morning I would see at least 10 cars being ticketed - seems some people aren't very observant, or their memories are very short !

I moved & then commuted from Woburn to Watertown daily via the back roads. Most of the drive was quick & civil - you saw the same cars every day & everyone behaved themselves, except for one guy at a particular intersection in Waltham. As we approached a T intersection, the road widened to 3 lanes, with the center lane for left turns at the lights. As almost everyone turned right there, the left turn lane was always empty. Well, this one clown in an jacked up orange Chevelle SS396 ( real inconspicuous car !) would come screaming down the center lane & turn right, cutting everyone off & causing untold numbers of close calls - it got to the point that you would keep an eye on your left side mirror as you turned right!

After about a month of this foolishness (we never, ever, saw a cop there), someone decided to take matters into their own hands, and as luck would have it, they were at the right spot at the intersection to carry it off. One morning, Mr. Orange Chevelle found a bucket of white paint splashed across his windshield just as he got to the intersection. Needless to say, he panicked, and drove straight on through the intersection into a very large oak tree on someone's front lawn at about 30 mph. The number of horns that honked as everyone drove by, accompanied by laughing, clapping & cheering, was amasing ! The hero of the day, a grey haired gentleman in an expensive suit, driving a Merc 450SL, took a bow, waved to everyone, and then got back in his car and drove off as if nothing happened!

We never did see that Chevelle again, nor anyone else trying the same stunt.