View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3567826)   #29
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think it was a protest. They said their car couldn't run in the spec dictated by bop. I'm sure they could make it run, but would be so far off the pace they decided not to waste their time. This is the only real thing a team can do to protest bop. With no other cars running McLaren, we have to consider politics as well as engineering.
I'm not really up on the technical operation of a racing turbocharger, but I believe the hang up, is that the turbo currently homologated for the Mclaren is simply too big, so that the wastegate is unable to bleed off enough pressure to meet the required levels. This is only a problem at Miller Motorsport Park, where the boost levels allowed are exceptionally low due to the altitude. A smaller turbo would probably work fine, but would be outside the current homologation for the 650S.
Perhaps somebody with a better working knowledge of turbo systems could explain it better.