View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3680676)   #259
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I agree they aren't the most elegant cars to watch through the corners. But I would say that's part of the charm for me that you can really see the drivers fighting the cars which for me is what BTCC is all about. If I want to see high cornering speeds or sophisticated technology on a race car I'll go and watch F1 or WEC (which I do, I don't find it anywhere near as enjoyable as a BTCC weekend IMO).

Definitely agree that the cars aren't the best looking, they've gone a bit boy racer for my liking. I don't think the liveries help, the works cars of the 90s allowing nice and unfussy colour schemes without too many sponsors on them.
For me they're too wide and the wings look like tacky Halfords specials. Group A, Super Tourers and heck even S2000 (despite their tiny wheels) looked like racing versions of road cars where BTC and NGTC just look clumsy, there's no sharp edges (partly down to the use of GRP vs carbon fibre) and most of the body kits look like 90's rejects.

To be fair Dynamics and WSR have managed to keep the look of the road car bumpers whilst making them more aerodynamic and haven't resorted to the NASCAR-esk efforts of the Speedworks and Handy Avensis or the Motorbase Focus's (the debut bumpers with the road car vents looked much better than the smoothed over jelly molds they're running now).

The widened vented front wings don't flow with the lines of the car cars with that boxy section aft of the front wheels. At least the S2000 wings used to fair back in before the doors.

I don't know who was fully responsible for the concept design or rules concerning the aesthetics of NGTC but I suspect GPRM had a good contribution and from looking at their efforts with the GT4 GT86‘s it's clear to see they've got Stevie Wonder loose with the magic markers in their design dept!