View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3680868)   #262
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I agree they aren't the most elegant cars to watch through the corners. But I would say that's part of the charm for me that you can really see the drivers fighting the cars which for me is what BTCC is all about. If I want to see high cornering speeds or sophisticated technology on a race car I'll go and watch F1 or WEC (which I do, I don't find it anywhere near as enjoyable as a BTCC weekend IMO).

Definitely agree that the cars aren't the best looking, they've gone a bit boy racer for my liking. I don't think the liveries help, the works cars of the 90s allowing nice and unfussy colour schemes without too many sponsors on them.
The roley-poley body roll the cars have when they corner is something I personally find off-putting. I don't mind seeing a 60's car doing that, in fact I love historics, but a modern racer shouldn't roll as much as these cars do, it looks like their roll bars are broken.

In addition, I think the cars are too heavy. I fully understand that they probably can't get anywhere near the 975kg of the old super tourers, however id have thought getting down to around 1100kg would be achievable. Obviously with more weight, the cars will corner slower. I believe the current cars min weight is 1280kg, but im unsure if thats with or without driver, I think its without driver, so then you add another 80kg on top of that, so your approaching a 1400kg car.

Again, as the above posters have stated, I completely agree. I'm not a fan of the plasticy looking body-kits. Some cars look better than others, but the majority, I think look a little over the top.

I do wonder what will be next for the BTCC in terms of regs. I personally think something like the GT4 rules would be great to see, or failing that adopting the TCR rules, or a variant of TCR.

Last edited by Sodemo; 17 Oct 2016 at 10:49.