View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3690349)   #8470
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
So the 2018 LMP1 rules proposal was indeed circulated at Bahrain. We all know that the hybrid rules were frozen until 2020, but that's not the only thing at issue. I have not been given specifics(too much to go over, and the ACO's trying to keep the details under wraps until they're finalized anyway), but I've been told the following by multiple sources:

1: The interested privateer groups were VERY happy with the proposal, so 2018 could bring bigger and better tings on that side(at least one team has given the ACO a commitment for 2018).

2: Toyota and Porsche are also okay with the proposal, though their concerns stopped with the hybrid rules(for now).

3: The rules may be loose enough to allow DPi cars in, but don't get your hopes up on account of...

4: Non-hybrid engines will get more fuel flow to allow them to effectively match the power output of the hybrids - there may be a restriction on the hybrids to slow them a bit, but that will only come if they hit the ACO's de facto speed limit at Le Mans in 2017.

It is questionable if the DPi engines, which aim for LMP2 power, can reliably produce the needed power - even GT3-derived engines will be questionable since we're talking about the need to push close to 1,000 horsepower. Engines unique to LMP1 cars will likely be necessary.

It doesn't sound like much of anything will change on the chassis side, and I think that's for the best right now.

One of my sources indicated that Joest running a non-hybrid R18 chassis is effectively locked in, but that it might not be until 2018. We'll have to see - I'd love to see that happen.

Thoughts?