View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2016, 14:40 (Ref:3697625)   #1214
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
TOCA has created a very sustainable touring car series, where manufacturers can have a presence, where independent teams can design and build their own cars, where independent teams can beat 'works' teams - how many forms of motor sport world wide can match all those credentials?

So what if there are a lot of control and standardised parts and even engines, what does it matter.

Let me tell you something else, if anyone wants 'real works' teams back the consequences are that it would put some private teams out of business as they couldn't compete, costs would spiral trying to keep up, constant bickering over regs, balance and boost parity and you would only ever be ONE board meeting away from them pulling the plug on it as it is not their priority. I was working in the BTCC in the late 90's and I can tell you that at the end of 1999 it wasn't a pretty sight and even more ugly at the end of 2000 as they tried to fill the grid.

Look at the WTCC, the world championship scratching around to make a grid of cars - reminds me when the BTCC brought in the national saloons to make up the numbers, that is where it is due to reliance on works teams and constructors and huge budgets.

Better to have the semi-works (for want of a better term) manufacturer set up we have now. I am happy for them to supply a few shells, pick up the entry fee tab, chip in for engines and buy some hospitality places with the teams and add some badge glitter to the grid.