View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2000, 19:30 (Ref:37001)   #53
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only speak for the industry in which i'm involed but, to me at least, transport and IT don't seem the same thing at all. If there are so many unfilled vacancies for IT peeps, why can't some of these people who have choosen to work overseas go for them - getting tetrained if necessary?

What the goverment is doing to the transport industry with these ludicrous taxes is killing it. People are going out of business day in, day out - through absolutely no fault of their own. And these guys invariably don't have the means to get retrained for alternative careers. We are forced to work ridiculous hours - often breaking tacho laws - just to make ends meet, then we're made the scapegoat when someone falls asleep at the wheel, or a corner is cut and a wagon goes out without it's scheduled service.

The transport industry have been trying to demonstrate the problems to this goverment since they came to power without any success at all. If they refuse to listen to reasoned debate, they leave people with no choice at all but to take more determined action to demonstrate their displeasure at these policies.