Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3737671)   #2629
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
If HPD wanted to base their DPi car on the NSX, then go for it! Just hoping that it'll stay competitive after some adjustments from IMSA.

On the other hand, any news of ACO allowing DPi in Le Mans, racing in LMP1-P?
the NSX Super-GT racer in Japan uses the 2.0L I4 engine used in Japanese SuperFormula dallara single seaters, yes its 600bhp, but it will not be capable of producing the torque that Cadillarc and Nissan are with far bigger engines, it will just be another Mazda style of fragile 2.0L turbo engine which BBQ's itself regularly.......they will need to either get a V6 with about 3.0-3.5 Litres capacity, such as the previous LMP2 engine would be ideal, I believe currently used by Shank in 3.5L guise......or they will need to increase the 2.0L I4 out to something like 2.5L and this might help bridge the gap......its a tough call, as the V6 is probably too heavy, but the I4 is too low on capacity, but would allow ideal weight distribution, either way Honda have 2 reasonable engine DPi starting points........I think its only a matter of time before a manufacturer realizes a big capacity I4 or I5 Turbo gasoline motor with 2.5 to 3.0 litres of capacity is the ideal tool for both the IMSA DPi job and LMP1 in WEC