Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2017, 14:23 (Ref:3737708)   #2630
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
The current Audi R8 GT3 is quoted as making 580bhp. The Cadillac DPI is quoted as making 600bhp. I don't see why it'd be hard for Audi for example to coax an extra 20bhp out of the GT3 engine--a simple air restrictor change can make up that difference.

However, I have no quotes for how much power the NSX GT3 is making in full GT3 spec. The road car on engine power alone makes 500.
Quite right, I meant the opposite, though. I don't think IMSA GTD cars are significantly tuned down. GTLM received a significant power boost with the "new" rules in 2016, so its not like the days when 430 battled RSR and each was making 480-500hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I do see a DPI program from HPD is being a lot more likely right now than one from Volkswagen Group. People have tried to tie Audi Sport, Bentley Motorsport and Lamborghini to a DPI program. That's not to say that it won't happen. But I don't see a VAG DPI program happening soon, not unless someone's helping to foot the bill. Audi Sport will probably be back in LMP1 before we see a VAG DPI program for all I know.

But HPD don't have VAG or Toyota sized motorsports budgets, and probably don't want to spend that level of money even if they did, and they do have a GT3 car that they can take the engine out of and probably have a competitive DPI effort in short order. Not to mention that the NSX Earth Dreams engine is more race ready than the old LMP2 engine, which was a sedan/minivan engine modified as little as possible. Granted, until BOP came in, it was about useless against the Nissan VK45, which is about as removed from a stock block engine as one can get and still claim it was a stock block engine (it was basically a de-tuned Super GT GT500 engine).
While I think VAG will return to Le Mans very soon, I think the DPi program may even debut next year.

Also, to defend Honda's old P2 engine, re-homologating it as the beefier 3.5L is what turned it on here in North America. It never really got a chance in Europe to shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Not necessarily. They have to balance aero efficiency in the mix as well - BoP can only do so much, particularly when there's a specific yardstick to be balanced to. Screwing up the aero can snowball into a bigger problem and ruin the whole package.

There's a reason GM didn't do roadcar-derived aero for the Caddy DPi.
They didn't make a CTS-V Coupe DPi or anything of the like, but the detail changes GM and Dallara made to the DPi-V.R were road car derived or inspired. Caddy's road car engineers got to participate in the design work.

Chris