Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3737743)   #2632
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
the NSX Super-GT racer in Japan uses the 2.0L I4 engine used in Japanese SuperFormula dallara single seaters, yes its 600bhp, but it will not be capable of producing the torque that Cadillarc and Nissan are with far bigger engines, it will just be another Mazda style of fragile 2.0L turbo engine which BBQ's itself regularly.......they will need to either get a V6 with about 3.0-3.5 Litres capacity, such as the previous LMP2 engine would be ideal, I believe currently used by Shank in 3.5L guise......or they will need to increase the 2.0L I4 out to something like 2.5L and this might help bridge the gap......its a tough call, as the V6 is probably too heavy, but the I4 is too low on capacity, but would allow ideal weight distribution, either way Honda have 2 reasonable engine DPi starting points........I think its only a matter of time before a manufacturer realizes a big capacity I4 or I5 Turbo gasoline motor with 2.5 to 3.0 litres of capacity is the ideal tool for both the IMSA DPi job and LMP1 in WEC
Actually don't know if nissan/honda/toyota 2.0 L4 turbo engines could be more or less reliable than the poor reliable mazda engine in a 24h race, but trust me, fuel flow GT500 engines are much better hot stuff than mazda motor.
As far I know, in GT500 cars fuel flows triggers at 7000rpm or 7500rpm, where max output is released. Redline in those engine is at about 8000rpm. To reach 600hp @8000rpm are required 535Nm!!! so those engines run not less than 600Nm for almost the whole rpm range. Basically GT500 engine torque figure is comparable to the one of road mp4-12c, despite being 1/2 large.

High power - high rev - DI - high torque release = state of art.

If only could be found a way to make it the last 24 hour, it would be the ultimate sportscars engine.