View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3760827)   #16
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some valid points raised by Damien_White.

Watching Four Corners last night, you wonder how many people in Australia really are under mortgage stress, cost of living stress, 48 month interest free from Hardly Normal stress plus time poor factor.

A weekend at the V8's is not cheap, but to me it value for money- we don't rush out buy the team jacket, lanyard, model cars etc, and we always take our own food and drinks. However on the other hand you watch people rock up with a couple of kids and they do a raid on the merchandise stand and then the food stalls, you can see an average family going through $500 very easily on a Saturday or Sunday.

The Supercars is a well run format, you get 24 cars on the grid barring any accidents, you can actually meet the drivers and it good bit of entertainment. Just because Whincup wins on Sunday, doesn't mean I am going out Monday buying a Commodore! The format is good, there are no long winded delays, we never went when it was the ATC championship it was a long day to sit around and wait for a 20 minute race.

In the late 1970's, speedway was at it's the peak in Tasmania and promoters were loving the crowd numbers!
A Coca-Cola USA team versus Tasmania team at Latrobe on a Friday night in February 1978, drew a crowd of 14,000 people. Considering Tasmania had a population of 250,000 people in those days that was a big crowd.
The speedway on an average night would draw 5,000 people and for anything like the Marlboro Grand Prix you would get in excess of 10,000 people! Have a look at a speedway meeting, maybe 2,000 people.

I don't go to the speedway these days, but next year I will be going to the World Series Sprintcars, because it is a well run event and a nice tight program.

The old factor, people are time rich cash poor, or cash rich time poor.