View Single Post
Old 4 Sep 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3764331)   #5155
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
We have to remember that the 3.5MJ rules were pretty restrictive on how hybrid cars used their hybrid boost. I'm in favor of hybrids being used purely as range extenders instead of something to supplement engine power.

First of all, that might remove some of the incentive to run huge--and expensive to develop--hybrid systems. My big one is also that outside of the hybrid supercars, hybrid equipped cars aren't intended to be performance machines. The reason why people buy cars with small engines, or diesel engines, or hybrids or anything like that is to save money at the gas pump due to better fuel mileage.

Running DFI, especially in the air restrictor era, wasn't a huge performance advantage. It didn't really increase power, and though it might have helped with drive-ability for the cars that had it (no traction control back then on LMP cars), but it did extend range per a tank of fuel by, depending on conditions, 1-2 laps at Le Mans and 3-4 laps or so everywhere else.

I remember Audi with the R8 being able to run enough distance on a tank of fuel on street courses that they could, if they got enough yellow, do a race on one fuel stop. Granted, that was with about 20-25 or so more liters of fuel and it was on a street track, but the current cars can only do 45-50 minute stints. The R8s were able to do nearly hour and a half stints at times.

I still think we'll also need some pretty big performance balancing between the Toyotas next year and whatever privateer LMP1s show up. I'm not sure that the privateer cars can make much more than 700bhp and be reliable. Toyota are making like 1000-1100bhp, but nearly half of that is engine and hybrid.

You also still have the factory vs privateer factor, too.