View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2018, 05:55 (Ref:3832260)   #5834
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I've got a question. If you are shooting for a budget cap for the class, are we talking car cost + running cost for a season? And if so how does that cost translate between imsa and wec?

For instance, if you look at this years schedule and ran a P2 in both series, which would cost you more? Imsa has more running time, so does that automatically make it more expensive? Or is the double Le mans this season change that equation? and if the target is a $30 million budget for the proposed P1, who would that be for? Wec or imsa?
At this point there's too many moving pieces for just about anyone to say except Porsche and Ford. You've got so many issues with entry and marketing fees, freight, staff travel and weekend schedules, actual amount of testing, etc. that I doubt anyone outside could even estimate. Really all we have to go on is Atherton saying it looks too expensive for what they want.

But then again, who knows where any of this actually sits in 3 or 4 years anyways. The manufacturer landscape and the importance of hybrids could easily change wholesale by then, lord knows LMP1 went from expanding to 4 manufacturers to contracting to nearly 0 in that time frame. It's barely worth worrying about, especially compared to how absolutely awful these regulations are to me.