Old 6 Jul 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3834978)   #57
Drew81
Rookie

Drew81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Drew81, I'd suggest you start your quest here -

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136187

and then, if you have the time, begin reading the threads in the subforum. Many of us have been going for a long time. This year was my 33rd (straight) and I plan to be back again next year. I've done the coach trip three times, '92, '93 and '98. The first two were very good indeed but I had the same issues as Simon (GT6) spoke of in '98 when it turned out that neither the coach driver nor the tour guide on the coach had been to Le Mans before - not a great start! Who are you travelling with and when are you intending to go over (and from where)?

As a (very) amateur photographer I've been taking largely very average photos at Le Mans for all of those 33 years. (Google me - you'll find me.... ). There are 'secret' spots around the track - the bottom of the Esses, on the inside of the Esses and from the Ford Chicane where you can avoid fencing, but it's not easy and there is always competition for the best spots. Tertre Rouge is most people's favourite as on the inside you can get above the fencing - and it's a great place to spectate from anyway.

So probably best for you to pose questions as they occur to you. There is no such thing as a silly question..... And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for that link and the warm welcome!

I'm really looking forward to the race. It was amazing to watch on tv so I can only imagine what it must be like in person. Looks like there is lots of good info on that link so thanks for that. I'll have to get planning over the next 11 months.

My tour is with Leger. I've seen a mix of reviews on their Le Mans tour but the price seemed reasonable and I know their other tours outside of motorsport get good reviews. Our tour only brings us in for the race itself though. We arrive in France on Friday and then the circuit on Saturday though to the Sunday just after the race. It suited me though as I'm flying into Birmingham from Belfast to join the coach down to France which means I've had to book two extra days off work (the Thur and Tue) to allow for the extra travel I have to do. That was as much time as I could afford to take off work around that time.

There's a hotel booked for us for the Friday and Sunday night. On race night the coach is parked at the circuit for us to sleep in or leave our bags etc. I was kinda planning that I would just stay trackside through the night as I've seen people do this in the Le Mans videos on their social media. I don't mind all the walking and the loss of home comforts but I'm just concerned as to whether it's safe enough being trackside during the night? My ticket is general admission so I won't have the privilege of grandstand views but I don't mind too much as hopefully I'll be a bit closer to the action for some photos and video if i'm able to get a decent spot at the fences.