View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3850368)   #98
pomracer
Racer

pomracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
coming very late to this thread.

Carnets could be interesting.

Several years ago I drove a landrover from UK to Cape Town via various countries. Crossing most borders really was pretty easy with a Carnet for the vehicle, and it was a case of being disciplined and ensuring that the carnet/vehicle was always stamped properly in/out of each country ,with no mistakes made so as to avoid problems (one exception: word of advice NEVER try to take a vehicle in or out of Eygpt, 12 hours at border going in, 13 hours going out - just mentioning in case anyone wants a Cairo grand Prix).......anyway I feel sure that these days carnets are equally easy to get and to use.

That said, back then the choice was either to lodge a deposit equalling the value of the vehicle with the RAC (carnet issuer) , or alternatively it was possible to take out an insurance policy to cover the eventuality should the vehicle be left in a country and therefore deemed to be imported with duties payable.I cannot recall the costs etc but obviously it was based on a worst case situation and the highest duties that could be incurred , and so it depended on which countries were being visited.

I dont know what people do to take their cars to Sebring or Daytona these days?? presumably a carnet is required?

Anyway, crossing the channel with or without a carnet will not faze me at all.....................