View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3861482)   #2209
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Well, if there is such a housing shortage and youngsters are unable to save enough money for a deposit (so go off and see the world instead - or is that why they don't save the money?) a 30% fall should help them out and drive demand ...

In which case the demand should push prices up again.

That is until people realise that JLR's cutbacks in Coventry (and Michelin closing a factory in Dundee) are probably much more to do with cheap labour elsewhere - where is it that JLR have opened or are opening a new Factory? - rather than any other reason. Likewise building the i-Pace in Austria.

JLR seem to be thinking that their main market will soon be China (probably is already) and a growing opportunity in India.

When you are an Indian owned company with what seems to be a form of Global brand and not much of your production being sold in its traditional homeland - what would you do apart for move it?

Heck, even HP sauce is now made in Holland and has been for a while.

I expect even the Fish and chips we eat are probably fish landed by Spanish fishing boats and the potatoes from Morocco or Egypt.

Anyway, once the economy has adjusted to a new normal and the housing 'crisis' has been fixed with just about affordable Pre-Fabs we can seek out some affordable energy sources and attract manufacturing for the European and North American market back to Blighty, without all of the Red Tape and regulation that others will find so destructive of their economies.

I visited the JLR Classic factory last week & judging by the prices being quoted that's where the real money is being made! In the meantime, they can bash out the current stuff cheaply in some East European hole & then rebuild it in Coventry in years to come at vast profit!

Or am I just being cynical?