View Single Post
Old 3 Dec 2018, 03:00 (Ref:3867561)   #402
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
What are you comparing to? This track is a whole lot shorter than the one Supercars runs on at the start of the season
My bad, I completely forgot to elaborate on some important details of the comparison I was drawing - and I should have completely left out the Supercars comparison. I REALLY need to learn to stop posting when I'm tired and need to go to bed, I am far too prone to messing up what I'm trying to express when I do that...

Anyhow, the post by GTRMagic doesn't specify a whole lot of helpful information, so I had to extrapolate the best I could. The most important detail that's missing is whether they're comparing to a time set by the Leyton House car that weekend or back in the days of F1 at Adelaide.

Now, I'm pretty sure they compared to a run made at the event, both due to the wording of the comments in the screencap and because a comparison to the old runs in the F1 days on the old Adelaide F1 layout simply canNOT be considered any sort of helpful piece of information. But since we don't have the lap times available, the best I could do is look up the old F1 lap times and compare it to other cars of the era.

And because the Supercars run on a different layout from what F1 did, I never should have tried to draw a comparison to them at ALL with the available data, even discounting that this event is on a different course.

Assuming I made the right extrapolations, this is still a good sign for the car's performance - the gap would be larger than what was actually shown due to a larger course, but would still likely be close enough. Leyton House was a points-winning team, so they were NOT the slowest cars on the grid(usually - they did have a few DNQs). If I am wrong and they were comparing a run from this event to the old F1 lap times, then there may still be cause for concern, but the wording of the comments alone make me think they were comparing only times set at this event.Early 90s F1 pace is something to be ashamed of, even if it's backmarker pace - particularly considering the cost-controlled nature of the S5000 car.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 3 Dec 2018 at 03:07.