Thread: New SUVs
View Single Post
Old 2 May 2019, 11:11 (Ref:3901209)   #180
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That’s what I’ve always thought the definition was. But a large percentage of current ‘SUV’s would be hard pressed to carry much stuff! Better of with a decent wagon / estate car / break........
This is what I don't understand about SUV's (and more specifically why people buy them) - they're bigger on the outside but no bigger on the inside. So you get all the disadvantages of a larger car (extra weight, worse handling, braking, acceleration, fuel economy, higher running costs, higher insurance) but none of the benefits. I mean they even make it harder for the dog to get in the boot.

Take something like the Nissan Juke (ignore the awful looks for a minute) - it's bloody tiny inside. The Ford Kuga is just an obese Focus hatchback, the Qashqai is no better (and seems to be selling in huge numbers). I just don't get it. If you don't need lots of space - buy a hatchback, if you need extra space - buy an estate. SUV's don't need to exist - it's a class that sells in huge numbers for no valid reason.