View Single Post
Old 1 Jul 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3915380)   #120
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Again I agree, but if we're looking at them individually then it seems the driver who made a legitimate error was penalised, and the driver who took a deliberate action was not. This seems...odd.
Describing the same facts in a different way, the Canada decision prevented a driver benefiting from an error while the Austria decision rewarded the driver who made the bold move.

These two decisions are a lovely example of how it is possible to draw two completely different conclusions from the same facts...and for both conclusions for to be entirely legitimate.

My subjective view is that both decisions were morally correct for the reason described above - Vettel deserved to lose because he cracked under pressure while Verstappen deserved to win because we want to encourage aggressive racing. But the reverse conclusion, that Vettel was punished for a genuine error while Verstappen got away with pushing a rival off the track, is also entirely consistent with the facts. Into this grey area must step the stewards, trying to be both consistent and right and inevitably occasionally unable to be both.