Thread: WEC WEC 2019/20 season
View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3923439)   #544
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’m not following that. Silverstone thought they might lose F1 so didn’t renegotiate the WEC deal?

I would imagine it was independent of the F1 deal. Although you also seem to be suggestion Silverstone made all their money from F1 and nothing else.
I didn't say that at all. I said the opposite actually. I don't know the specifics but what I read about the f1 situation is that it threw a wrench on the entire tracks' events, actually the track surviving, at least under the current owners.

I think what happened was they were tired of paying more and more each year or new deal for the F1 race and they renegotiated with everyone, not just F1. I don't know how much they make for the other series that race there but I do know that the British GP has easily 100k+ people just on race day. And that has to be the main money maker.

I'm wondering if there is anything comparable to that in terms of attendance and therefor money. I know the WEC says 30-50k but I think that's weekend total. Is there anything else racing there that can be a money maker? If they are losing money on their biggest venue what does it mean for the smaller ones like the WEC?

I actually found a recent article on Forbes that goes into detail about the situation they face- https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2...0-million/amp/... So looking at that, reading that they are in a bad place financially, maybe there's more to it than just the WEC dropping it because they don't like the place or anything along those lines. Money talks. Maybe Silverstone wasn't trying to give the WEC a race at the rate they had. Maybe 6hrs is a financial burden for the WEC organizers and decided 4 was a good deal for the price Silverstone asked? I don't know exactly, but from the info available it seems to me that both of them were looking out for their financial interests with light of the other big race and it's details on finances.