View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3950224)   #143
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Lancsbreaker;3950220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
"Ford offered a 2.5 ltr V6 transit with the diesel front.

We had one with overdrive fitted and some sort of mechanical anti-lock system for the rear brakes. LWB twin rear wheels.

Empty there was very little grip at the rear and the LWB made it quite controllable. Power was not massive but just about sufficient to have some fun. Especially if damp. "

I converted my early Mk1 Transit LWB rally barge from 2.0 V4 to 3.0 V6 in the 80s - using a fabricated front cross member and the diesel front panel and bonnet. Pretty easy conversion and made it a whole lot more useable when loaded with spares, tyres and fuel, and towing the rally car. Amazingly fuel consumption wasn't much worse than standard - virtually identical when empty, and only about 3mpg worse (down to 12 from 15!) when fully laden and towing - one heck of a lot faster, though!

I agree that the LWB was very controllable when it got sideways

Ah, one you might know - whatever became of the late Mike Buckler's twin-engined Alfa 164 tow car?

I was at his workshop one day when he was proudly showing-off the newly completed machine to another customer. When asked what it's purpose was, Mike replied it would be a tow car. "Wouldn't a Transit have been a lot simpler? was the response from the unimpressed customer.