View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3950328)   #157
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Actually John, I seem to remember a story that as well as the CF van Lotus also used a Viva GT road car to test the 907 engine in too, do you know about that?
I don't remember a GT, but we had two HC Viva's fitted with 907 engines. They were pounded round & round the Hethel track by contract drivers in order to knock-up the requisite mileage for Federal certification.

When the job was completed, the blue car had it's original engine fitted & was sold, whilst the rather attractive metallic green one was destined to become Chapman's personal car. However he took one look at the salmon-coloured interior & said "No thanks". As a result, that too had the engine swapped back to the original & it became a pool car. It was much preferred to the alternative Mk 3 Cortina's. I did many miles in it collecting up parts for the build of the first production Elite's. For a week or two I probably spent more time in that car than at my desk!