Thread: Isolated Fun?
View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3983645)   #363
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I took the liberty of posting this in here as an extension to a topic that was initially raised in "bauble's" picture thread. As it is not really pictures and so as not to detract from that thread I chose to continue it here.
(Sorry mods if I have overstepped the mark.... but done more out of respect for the picture parade thread.)

Anyway we got to discussing Aston Martin DBR3S's in particular a team that featured in a question posted.
'Old Tony' gave details of the Australian Kangaroo Stable Racing Team from the fifties, and for my part I added that to my knowledge I thought the Kangaroo Stable had been resurrected by an overseas based Aussie in the 1990's.

I did a bit of Googling and found out that the Aussie is a guy by the name of Kean Rogers. I found this article in a US Aston Martin Owners Club publication dated 2004
It re-iterates what 'OT' told us about the history and goes on to mention the status (as of 2004)
Quote:
ABOUT THE
KANGAROO STABLE
The Kangaroo Stable formed when a
group of enthusiastic Australian racing
drivers left home to race sports cars in
Europe. Late in 1954 Tony Gaze, a decorated WWII Spitfire pilot who’d previously raced DB3/9 and convinced Lord
March to use Goodwood aerodrome as a
race circuit, tried buying D-type Jaguars
for the Kangaroo Stable.When he couldn't
get a firm delivery date a quick word with
Aston team manager John Wyer resulted in
a promise of a trio of DB3Ss in time for
the start of the 1955 race season. The
Stable consisted of drivers David McKay
and Tony Gaze in DB3S/102,Tom Sulman
and Jack Brabham in DB3S/103 with Les
Cosh and Dick Cobden in DB3S/104.
After the tragic Le Mans of 1955 sportscar
racing in Europe dried up and the Stable
disbanded later in the year. Two cars (102
& 103) were exported to Australia to race,
with the third (104) finding a home in the
USA. Jack Brabham went on to F1 and
eventually three world championships,
McKay and Sulman returned to race in
Australia with their cars while Gaze stayed
on in England.
In 1993 the Kangaroo
Stable was resurrected by expat Aussie
Kean Rogers, now resident in the USA.
Since then the stable has grown to seven
Astons with two dedicated to racing both
in the USA and UK. More details of the
Kangaroo Stable and the cars can be found
at www.v8vantage.com.
Actually if anyone i interested here is a link to the AMOC US publication. A lot of mouthwatering cars and info:
https://amocna.org/wp-content/upload...-Spring-04.pdf

I also found a detailed account of McKay's Aston competition history from when it was sent to Australia (via NZ) for McKay to race downunder. Includes it's Speed Record activity.
https://primotipo.com/2017/09/28/dav...-martin-db3ss/