View Single Post
Old 29 Jul 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3991453)   #189
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tidy driving style is possible because the loose sections are just dustings of dirt on top of tarmac, which gets swept away after free practice to leave the worst possible result in any racing scenario... One racing line. Loheac, for example, once the racing line is there you cannot overtake into the top hairpin or the long right hander as if you go off line you can't slow it down in the dirt.

Then Spa happened and it was like watching old rallycross. Big rocks clearly have no place and hopefully that will be resolved but deep gravel on a wide long corner means more racing lines, more mistakes and more overtaking.

If you want overtaking you need to do that (also like the old layout at Chessons) or have the hard braking zones on tarmac (i.e. into the Elbow or top of Hairy Hill hairpin, again at Lydden (best circuit I've seen for overtaking ever).

So few circuits nowadays have any natural overtaking places. And then people wonder why joker laps are introduced or people barge their way past.

I agree with the above, dry rallycross is just a first corner race then a time trial. Can't see it changing for the same reasons mentioned above.

At least with this year's autumnal season we should get more rain.