Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2020, 21:40 (Ref:4019760)   #1700
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think there are many factors at play here with this crash. One thing I dont recall seeing decades ago, is many of these kind of crashes, so I wonder if its partly a driver behavior issue, or maybe a rear vision issue of not being aware of where your car is relative to another car beside you (poor mirrors?). Certainly the increased weight helped to penetrate the barrier. I think the cars are over 100kg heavier than cars from the 90s (for example).

I do think some drivers (all?) do push the rules of the road and the rules of racing further than drivers did 20-30 years ago. I dont think you would get drivers pushing drivers wide into a gravel trap, or going onto wide grass and flooring it to rejoin as they do these days when its tarmac run off.

I'm no fan of the Halo (and I still am not) but you cant really argue that in this case, it saved Grosjean's life.