View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:13 (Ref:4024088)   #123
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think the 2005 Alonso Renault demo at Abu Dhabi reminded us what we are missing atm, not least the sound of that V10. Still enough to send a chill down your spine, how an engine note should be
I wouldn't refer to it as something we are missing. It could equally be said that we're missing V8s, V12s, naturally aspirated or any other form of PU.
It's something different, and an example of what the sport has moved on from. There are probably equally as many F1 followers of the current / next generation who will have seen it is unnecessarily loud and fairly crude in design compared to what we have today.
Don't underestimate the influence on future racing that many have, who think that historic cars such as the 2005 Renault should be kept as exactly that - historic cars for demonstration use or historic racing only.

I've talked to a few people who have only started watching F1 in the last decade - they respect the history of the sport, but don't want the sport to go back to those cars.