View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4064311)   #52
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I really do beg to differ, especially having been a competitor in Special Saloons for about 5 years in the late 60s.

And having raced pretty well every other weekend during that time, often towards the front of the pack but also nearer the back, my car never even had a scratch in the paintwork. We didn't swap paint, nor did we rub doorhandles and we certainly never tapped the car in front to destabilise our fellow drivers. Possibly because in the main we respected each other, and would always help our fellow competitors if they were in need.

Furthermore, you only need to look at some of the photos of club meetings from back then that clearly demonstrate that huge crowds would attend even the smallest club meetings to watch guys and gals racing each other, almost always without any contact whatsoever.
I can remember Anthony Reid after a particularly, shall we say, physical race in (I think it was) 2000 saying "I really enjoyed that." As I say, contact comes with the territory and is what makes Touring Cars what it is for me.