Old 1 Nov 2021, 09:45 (Ref:4080893)   #34
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Sorry James' Elva didn't finish....it did feature on screen a few times though! And gave the commentator the chance for the old "Elle ne vas pas" joke.....
Well, that was ... interesting!

Still working that car up, only second time out, and first time in wet. Quali was just 15 minute, and with an early red flag we only got one 'flying' (swimming!) lap, and I spun on that one anyway! Plenty of cars didn't even set a time. Soaked through the fireproofs to my undies ... fortunately I'd taken a full spare set of kit!

It had stopped raining maybe 20 mins before our race, and with sun and wind and a session still on track there was some thought that there could be a dry line ... the amount of 'dry' track I saw on the green flag lap all added together was probably less than a tennis court! Lots of standing water still, and very early on, depending on where the low sun was, you could see oil on the top ... i was finding it treacherous ... as those watching the live stream will have noticed! Amazed how well many of the drivers were going ...

A spin on Lap 2 at village, very slow, but the engine stalled and didn't want to restart, a wait for the remaining field to pass by and then the marshals pushed me to safety, I asked if I could try a push-start and they said 'yes' and now it fired, so off I went. Lots of sliding around, so whenever anyone was nearby I backed off, only testing the limits when I was on my own, resulting in two more spins, the final one at Brooklands the engine just died when I thought i'd kept it going and wouldn't fire up and we got pushed off to a DNF. Hey, ho! ... I 'quite' enjoyed it, "character-building" and all that ... although a bit embarrassed, and I hope I didn't inconvenience any fellow competitors.

Roll on '22 - "Elle va de nouveau!" When we return the aging tyres will have been replaced, more fettling will have taken place, and some testing too! Iain has further suggestions for investment as well!

Thanks to Iain and Stewart for their support - as always.