View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2021, 16:44 (Ref:4085325)   #435
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
For example how do you define low, mid, high corner speeds? You could attach numbers, but in reality, I think we are using corner speed as a surrogate for perceived level of danger. Meaning... accidents in low speed corners are less dangerous than those in high speed corners. Which is a generalization that is mostly true, but we can no doubt find specific examples in which that may not be true.
Agreed - and as a specific example we have one such high-profile case this season.

At what speed did this incident occur?

Alonso is in the camp that it was low speed, so not dangerous:
"But it is low speed, you know, they go at 30 or 40km/h, there is no danger, there is nothing. So I don't think it was a big deal. At Silverstone it probably was, but this one, it was just a racing incident."

I don't agree with Alonso - but if an F1 driver holds that view based on the speed of contact, I think that inevitably opens up a rabbit-hole.