View Single Post
Old 4 Mar 2022, 12:05 (Ref:4101177)   #28
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Just to get things in perspective, the engine that I used was a crossflow headed 1500cc 5 bearing screamer that was allowed when I was contesting the ICS series and it cost me and my sponsors a serious amount of money at the time (although most of the cost was for reliabillity) They allowed it after it was realized that it wouldn't be competitive against a large engined Mini. There wasn't (at the time) a minimum weight limit and we managed to get the Anglia down to 680 kilos wheras a Mini could be 500 kilos or less and depending on how the rules were interpretated especially in the "grey areas" ! Power outputs at the time for mine depending on what spec cam and carbs I was running at different tracks was up to 180 BHP and the Minis A series 150 plus ?.
A 1200 cc Anglia unfortunately isn't competitive against a well sorted Mini as long as the drivers are as good as one another and both cars comply to the rules in the series, simply because of the weight difference and the Minis amazing handling from standard
I drove the Broadspeed Anglia at Brands a few years ago, before it was restored, it had a similar x flow engine to Gordons in it. First impresions were it was a bit flat, then it got to 5500 RPM and we were off like a scalded cat. I didn't push it as I knew what it was, but it was fun!

the weight issue is key . . . a lot of the screamers make power, but not much torque, so lowest car weight is key to performance. something I learnt was to tune to the car rather than the pub audience sacrificing 4-5 BH in the Cortina, and a borader sporead of 120 lb/ft, and saving 30kg in weight bought be time everywhere I went. 0.5s @ Brands