View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2023, 15:22 (Ref:4140740)   #1196
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I don't really get this debating about whether the cars are touring cars or GT or not real touring cars or whatever. Does it really matter that much? Personally, I don't give a damn about plastic windows, carbon-fibre panels, tubular chassis and all of that. The most important thing is that the cars are exciting to watch (way more than TCR for example) and provide good racing. Are they touring cars or GT? Couldn't care less. After all, what is the exact definition of a touring car? For me Supercars are touring cars in this way that they are based on road cars which can be bought in real life, have four seats, resemble the road version of the cars. GT I'd associate more with an endurance, 2-drivers-per-car model, cars based on typical sportscars with 2 seats and so on.
I've got the feeling that the lines are a bit blurred nowadays for instance because of parity measures, cost-cutting measures and also a changing motor industry. Some years ago I'd never believe that a GT car may be based on a four-seat coupe which is more like a coupe version of a saloon car and is hardly comparable with Lambos or Ferraris. But we have M4 GT3, which seems even more touring car-ish than the M6 before him. And it's not inconceivable that in the future we might also have Audi RS5 GT3.

Doesn't really matter if Supercars meets all criteria to be a touring car or GT. After all, apart from TCR and BTCC, which are the other 'true' touring car championships?
Do I care? Yes and no.

Different cars to what I used to was one of the reason I started liking Supercars. The days with Holden, Ford, Nissan and Volvo were for me the best days.

Moving to GT cars like Camaro and Mustang decreases by interest. There are already plenty of GT championships around the world. And having only 2 manufacturers isn't helping either.

However I understand the reason for this (and DTM's) move because the car market has changed. And as an European I am not Supercars target.