View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2023, 17:17 (Ref:4148511)   #87
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
I'll start by saying something nice about the FIA (or stewards); at least this time they said they got it wrong and did something about it. It's a shame they didn't do the same in 2021 when Masi's monumental c__k-up cost Hamilton a record-breaking eighth world title.

Now to the things that need to change:
The painted markings on the grid appear to be just the width of the front axle of an F1 car, giving drivers no leeway whatsoever on positioning the car. Given the dreadful visibility from the driver's position, it's only a surprise that cars are not "out of position" more often. Simple solution: make the box wider.

Leaving teams to administer their own penalties in the pitman is fraught with problems and smacks of the FIA throwing the problem over the fence and leaving it to the team to pick it up. The simplest solution is to use drive-throughs as the main penalty. Easily administered and little scope for imaginative interpretation. The only problem is that is roughly equivalent to a time loss of 15-18 seconds, so a more severe penalty than the 5 second one.

If it's felt a 5 second-type penalty needs to be available, the stop/go box at one end of the pitman (as suggested by Greem above) would be appropriate. In addition to the traffic lights and timer, it would need something to prevent the equivalent of an "unsafe release". Just add a Line A well before the box and a Line B just after. Then build a bit of logic into the traffic lights saying that if a car has passed Line A the green light cannot come on until it has passed Line B.