View Single Post
Old 12 Jun 2023, 11:46 (Ref:4163317)   #337
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I hadn't really kept up with this other than "there's going to be a NASCAR at Le Mans" - seeing it on the grid with the other cars it looked totally out of place. Interesting from an engineering point of view though - seeing the potential of these cars when some of the restrictions are lifted and they go on a diet.

The thing I'm still not clear on though is this: what was the point of it and who paid for it (and why)? From what I've seen there's no intention to run a class of these things anywhere, there was no major experimental technology on there and there's nowhere else it can run. It must have cost a substantial amount to develop (bespoke tyres wouldn't have been cheap either) - so what's the payback?
With the near future of NASCAR being a lot more road racing, could this have been one big gigantic marketing scheme? GM and NASCAR got deep pockets and resources. Hendrick Motorsports isn't a poor operation either but I'd be curious of the total budget and how it was split up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Out of all the cars on the grid, this one was by far the most ground-shaking. And air, lungs, trousers, teeth and hair!

Going past us at the top of the Mulsanne at full chat was simply jaw-dropping.
I'm glad to hear this. We're pretty familiar with beasts like this over here and while technologically speaking, they're not the most advanced, they bring a smile to my face in person everytime. And isn't that what this is all about?

Quote:
Glad to see them haul it round to the finish - and even more glad to see them avoid some of the silly accidents that other more experienced teams suffered!
Likewise! It might have helped they weren't "battling" anyone but it's still a big deal for them to finish!