View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2023, 20:46 (Ref:4165450)   #154
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
BTCC does have standard subframes.
I mean standard as in the same as the road cars, not standard as in all the same as each other!

BTCC front end:

TCR front end:

The latter is based on the road car using the standard chassis rails and you built up a reinforced version of a standard (i.e., road car) front subframe underneath albeit with fabricated control arms.

To be clear, I'm not saying that BTCC diverging from road cars in this way is necessarily a problem. It's clearly a good ruleset where a diverse range of cars like the Infiniti Q50 and Subaru Levorg have previously been competitive, as well as the likes of a Toyota Avensis and Corolla and so on and so forth. It's straightforward for a private team to homologate nearly any body shape, using the standard subframes and often the TOCA engine and be competitive, which is great.

It would be nice if there were still more cars following the RWD option of course (Alfa Romeo Giulia and so on; I appreciate the Subaru was controversial as the rule makers had not considered that shorter flat-four and V4 engines would have a handling advantage by sitting further back in the chassis than inline-fours!), but oh well.

It would be nice if the numbers for Halford's to sponsor Team Dynamics stacked up in the way it does for NAPA to sponsor Motorbase, but obviously it doesn't anymore, so that's fine and the BTCC still has a full grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
By a manufacturer-nominated builder (e.g., JAS and Cyan Racing) OR
There's no Ford Focus nominated team, so Motorbase could do that. West Surrey Racing could similarly build all the BMW 128Ti TCRs and so on. WSR could also do a Mini Cooper S 5-door TCR using the same running gear too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Hence Audi Sport and CUPRA have sold hundreds of TCR cars to customers across the world
As you say it is a lucrative market, where you can potentially sell not just the minimum run of 10 cars but hundreds of cars even!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 25 Jun 2023 at 21:00.