View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2023, 12:39 (Ref:4169174)   #8
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it the development is a bit like a time share, so they will likely be empty most of the time (making vast sums for the bigger events obviously), there will still be access to the side of the track for spectators as the "accommodation" will be over it meaning the rich people will not have a restricted view from the punters below!

It has taken a fair while to build it, and it is no way near finished despite them saying it would be done this year. I gather it was not owned by Silverstone either. Not sure about that.

They are also building a kart track near where Bridge used to be, that 120 millionish they raise from the GP the last few years coming in nicely then, and they have also demolished a lot of stuff, the old HSCC building behind Woodcote has gone, the old Supporters club area gone last year, (never replaced and all the members quietly dumped from free parking etc) to make way for ever more stands for about 2 events a year when they make money. Money talks sadly and Silverstone now seem to utterly a business over and above all else.

Next in line is the farm area inside of Bridge, i would expect to see that go in the next year or two, they have vast wealth to spend on this now due to half a million people thinking 500 quid for a weekend watching F1 is value. Fair play to them.

Also, a bit like JP they will not in their eyes "waste" money on international events now that bring in no money (DTM, GTWC WEC FIM Endurance, WRX), great though WEC is the calendar is secure, the money is not here, the crowds are not either in respect of what the FIA or ACO will charge to host. I think sadly Silverstone made a decent effort with their last WEC rounds, but the series was dead then in many ways, they were unlucky.

It is a shame but as I say Silverstone now is purely and ONLY a corporate business it is not a sporting venue. JP to be fair to him has not gone that way so much.