Thread: Sebring '24
View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2024, 21:15 (Ref:4202770)   #516
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for your detailed report Syd.

It was my fourth Sebring (also from the UK) and I very much felt the same as I did on my last trip back in 2019 - it's a great event, but once or twice is enough.

You mentioned the main issue, which is the RV/motorhome takeover - of course, this is par for the course at American motorsport events, but it's a particular pain at Sebring, with where they're allowed to park right up to the fence. This is nowhere near as big a problem at somewhere like Daytona, or Road Atlanta for Petit Le Mans, but those events are much newer.

Sebring has been known, for all its 72 12 Hours', as the place to party, so I completely understand why they still allow the RVs/motorhomes/campers to have a monopoly on the place. So I'm not saying Sebring should change, but it's fair to put it down as a negative, especially for a first-timer trying to watch the racing - and it's why I probably won't go back.

As it happens I was in Florida anyway, and went along for just the Wednesday and Thursday of the event this year. That was more than enough for me. I was happy with the support lineup this year - losing WEC was replaced by MX5s and Lamborghinis so the program was still pretty packed, and after a few years away it was great to be back in a much larger IMSA paddock, see the Hypercars for the first time, etc.

Wednesday is actually my favorite day because of the lack of RVs - far more of the track is accessible, which in turn makes it easier to actually see where to go next! As Syd points out, it's frustrating to get lost in the maze and quite often I've ended up having to venture through people's 'private' areas and have also received the aforementioned 'dirty' looks! It definitely doubles your step count without actually getting you any closer to the next corner...!