Old 25 Apr 2024, 10:29 (Ref:4206371)   #16
cxx666
Rookie

United Kingdom
Edinburgh
cxx666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
I think peoples differing opinions on the reduced entry list is probably determined by ‘how much of a fan you are’. By that I mean your average fan who watches on TV and rarely attends a race or perhaps your someone that attends religiously and never misses a meeting. Personally I fall some where in the middle of those 2. Usually attend 7 meetings a year, missing out the likes of Croft, oulton and knockhill as there a fair distance away. So I think if your trackside your really going to notice the difference in grid size this year. From the TV however I don’t think much will change. For that very reason I’ll be attending 1 or 2 less meetings this year.
I'll second the super fan thing. Given how many I've seen on Facebook and Reddit posting asking questions that have been asked already, or can easily be answered with a quick Googling, I'd say there are an awful lot more 'occasional' fans who just dip in and out.

Personally, I watch live on TV when I can (work permitting) and for the last 15 years or so have gone to 3 weekends a year, and 1 or 2 from 1999 to 2009. I'd have thought that 3 a year might be slightly higher than the 'average' fan, but definitely not in the category of super fan. Grid sizes aren't concerning me, I understand why they're down on previous years and that championships will naturally have years where they dip slightly. As I have seen on Facebook, all those getting ready to write the championship off with 20 on the grid for the start of the year clearly weren't around at the start of the BTC era where we had less than half that at the start with numbers later being boosted by creating the production class, essentially killing off what I believe was the National Saloon Championship?

Last edited by cxx666; 25 Apr 2024 at 10:44.