View Single Post
Old 12 Oct 2000, 14:25 (Ref:42579)   #20
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tazzoid I'm surprised at you! Gordon Murray is the former Brabham and Mclaren designer, responsible for Babham BT42-BT55 and the all conquering Mclaren-Honda MP4/4. Also designed the Mclaren F1 road car. The reason I'm surprised that you didn't know is that he is South African.
The CART regs basically have a standard car bottom which is compulsory for all the teams, so there's no fiddling around there, and they are very strict on electronic driver aids. I'm not sure of the exact rules, perhaps somebody else can enlighten us. Driver input is much more important in CART and although that would alter slightly because the F1 teams would be designing their own cars and not buying proprietery chassis there would be differences between the cars, but all the 'black' arts currently used in F1 would be banished meaning the cars would be much closer. Plus the driver would be having a direct input on the control of his car, so electronics wouldn't override the drivers physical actions as they blatantly do now.
The chances of it ever happening are practically zero unfortunately - far too much in the way of vested interest.