View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2001, 08:13 (Ref:55430)   #6
meatballeyes
Rookie

meatballeyes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
[B]"Do we really need to see six hours of that?" Erm, yes, we do.[B]
my comment was not meant to imply that the entire race should not be shown. if that is how i came across then i apologize. personally, i want to see every minute of every race. (no commercials!) however, given the interest of the average north american sports fan it will never happen on nbc. perhaps the best remedy is to show live coverage on speedvision, and then a taped delay highlights show for the masses on nbc. dont you agree?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
If people were tuning in for the first time to see the generally awesome ALMS race on NBC, it's possible they might wonder what the big deal was. These races are awesome in person and on Speedvision. The race on NBC was a mess.
i just finished comparing video tapes of the las vegas camera work against the adelaide event. while you are absolutely right about the cheesy commentary, my comparison of the actual camera work convinced me that the new navicam system works extremely well. i could barely make out the sponsor decals during the las vegas event. the decals were much easier to read during the navicam shots at adelaide. if anyone has tapes of these events - compare them yourself. you will be impressed (until they start talking). people like us who have attended sportscar races know that nothing can compare to the real thing. but i felt that the navicams helped to heighten the tv experience. do you feel that the additional exposure provided by tighter camera work on nation wide network tv will fail to help the series in the long run? im not trying to pick a fight with you, liz, but i do value your opinion (after all, you do have 10000 posts !).

the alms has a hard time attracting privateers. im sure that everyone would like to see a unified sportscar championship in north america, if not the world over. on one side, i think that the commentary was excruciating. on the other side, i feel that any network coverage that may attract sponsors and teams and helps to bolster sportscar racing is worth suffering through weak commentary. (brings me back to derek bell - please hire him!)

i guess that i love watching sportscars enough to excuse the fools behind the nbc microphones.

good night!

KHT