View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2003, 01:34 (Ref:752819)   #1
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gold Coast V8 Race

A number of the V8 drivers were on the Gold Coast yesterday to promote the Gold Coast race.

From Todays Gold Coast newspaper
V8 drivers raring for Coast race
16Oct03

THE Gold Coast Indy track received a vote of confidence from V8 Supercar drivers at the launch of the race in Brisbane yesterday afternoon.

Bathurst winner Greg Murphy, placegetters Craig Lowndes and Gold Coasters Steve Johnson and David Besnard agreed the street circuit was superb and that the Gillette V8 Supercar Challenge was fast becoming the joint main attraction at the Indy carnival.

Murphy, the hottest driver in Australian racing, led the glowing report for the Gold Coast event.

"I think it is the best street circuit I have ever raced on," he said.

"Everyone loves to race here and I have a good record which makes it even better."

Besnard backed up Murphy's comments.

"The Gold Coast is the best place to live and the best place to race. Indy just keeps getting bigger and better every year," said Besnard.

This year's race takes on particular importance with championship honours still to be decided.

"The next two races, particularly the Gold Coast, are very important. If we can put some good performances together we can put some pressure on for the championship honours," said Murphy.

Johnson is another driver looking forward to a big Indy carnival after disappointment at Bathurst.

"The car had an electrical problem which put us out during the race so I'm looking forward to an improved performance," said Johnson.

With the following round of the V8 championships in New Zealand less than a fortnight after the Gold Coast race, Lowndes said teams had to be careful.

"We always have to watch ourselves around the Gold Coast because there is not much time to prepare the cars before we head to New Zealand," he said.

Final touches are being made to the track before the start of the four-day carnival which begins next Thursday